What is Google Authenticator and how do I set Up Google 2 Step Verification on my Device? Imagine losing your Google Account and everything in it! You will be so devastated and frustrated. However, with Google Authenticator, you can generate 2- Step verification codes on your phone thereby protecting your Google account. It provides you with stronger security for your Google account by requiring a second step of verification when you sign in. Thus, you don’t need to worry about third-party access to your account as the service gives you absolute peace of mind.
Millions of people from across the world make use of Google Authenticator to make their accounts stronger with the 2- step verification. It works with many providers and accounts. You can access Google Authenticator across your smartphones and Desktop devices. Whether you have just gotten a new phone or you’re using an old device, you can set up Google Authenticator code on your device. Note that; to get started with GoogleAuthenticator, on your Smartphone, you’ll need to download and install the app. You can visit the Google or iOS play store to download the app on Smartphones and Chrome store to add the extension on your PC.
Google Authenticator App Download on Android and iOS Devices
Downloading the Google 2- Step verification App on your Android or iOS device is quite easy to go about. You can follow the steps and guidelines below;
- Open your Google Play or iOS Store
- Tap on the search engine, search Google Authenticator
- Click on the app icon from the option provided
- Tap on INSTALL OR GET and the app will start downloading
- Once downloaded launch and open the app on your Smartphone
After successfully downloading and installing the Google Authenticator App on your Android or iOS device; you will need to set up the app on your device.
How to Set Up Authenticator on your Android and iOS Smartphones
Now that you have downloaded the Google 2 Step Verification App on your Mobile device, you can follow the steps and guidelines below to set the app on your device;
- On your Android or iOS Device
- Open your Google Account
- At the top, click on Security
- Under signing in to Google ; click on 2- Step Verification
- Note ; you might be required to sign in to your account
- Under Authenticator App, click on SET UP
- Lastly, follow the on screen instructions to complete the process
Google Authenticator New Phone
If you need to transfer your Authenticator code to your new Smartphone; you can do using following the below steps and guidelines. Note that; you will need your old Smartphone with the codes and the latest version of the app installed on your old devices as well as your new smartphones;
- Download and install the Google Authenticator App on your new device
- Open the app and Click on the GET STARTED ICON
- At the bottom of your screen, select import existing accounts
- Now, on your old device, create a QR Code; you can do this by clicking on MORE on the app
- Then, tap transfer account and tap Export Accounts
- Choose the account you want to transfer to your new phone and click on NEXT
- Note that; if you wish to transfer more than one account, you old device will have to create more than one QR Code
Finally, on your new Phone; click on SCAN QR CODE and once you have successfully scanned the QR Code; you will get a successful message that your Authenticator account has been transferred.
Google Authenticator PC
You can use Google Authenticator on your PC by either installing the Chrome App on your PC or you can set up the feature on your PC by visiting the official website of the platform. To download the app on your chrome, visit your chrome store and search for the Authenticator app and then add it to your PC. But to use the feature without adding the extension to your PC, follow the steps and guidelines below;
- Open your PC web browser
- Visit the official website of Google Authenticator
- On the homepage, click on the GET STARTED ICON at the top right corner of the page
- You’ll be prompted to sign in to your Google Account
- login to your Google Account and follow the prompt
After completing the setup; you can rest assured that your Google Accounts is secured from third-party access while using the Google 2 Step Verification feature. So, if you aren’t using the application, you might need to download and set up an account today with the service.